Baby Proofing Tips
Creating a safe environment for your baby is a basic need. When most people hear the words “baby proofing,” they only think of that big wall at your local baby store full of toilet bowl locks, cabinet locks and outlet covers. However, to really cover the basics of baby proofing you need to make sure your whole house is ready for a baby who’s on the move. But not to worry—creating a safe nursery and home for baby doesn’t mean that you need to compromise on the design style that you’ve dreamed about.
1. Get down on your knees and hands and crawl around your home looking for hidden dangers.Look for anything you can pull down on top of yourself or that could be hiding underneath the couch or shelves. This includes any pet bowls or pet toy storage.
2. Choose paint for the nursery that contains no volatile organic compounds as they are linked to many adverse health effects and birth defects.
3. Babies spend up to 16-18 hours a day sleeping and a lot of that time is spent in the crib, so you want it to be the safest place possible. Ensure baby crib mattress is covered with a tight fitted sheet.
4. Your monitor is meant to allow you to keep an eye on your baby to ensure that she is safe and sound, but it can also be a hazard to baby if placed too close to the crib.Baby monitors should be placed at least 3ft away from baby crib.
5. Heavy artwork and mirrows should not be hanged above the crib.Avoid using floor lamps or curtains that hang to the floor. Babies soon become toddlers that pull on things, and all of these things will become a danger.
6. All obviously dangerous areas in your home should be secured.For example, put gates at the top and bottom of your stairs and around any fireplaces. Ensure all cleaning supplies and laundry supplies are in cabinets that baby cannot access.
7. Working smoke detectors should be installed in your home. Install a smoke alarm over the door to the nursery, as well as in every other bedroom of your home.
By educating yourself and following these baby proofing basics, you can set your mind at ease and be sure your baby will be safe and sound!